Ads have become a regular part of our online experience, often causing frustration and disruptions. They can even affect our device’s performance. Traditionally, users would root their Android devices for ad-free browsing, but this can be risky. Luckily, there’s a safer method available – using the “Private DNS” feature introduced by Google in Android Pie. In this guide, we’ll show you how to block ads on your Android device without rooting, using Adguard DNS.
What is Adguard DNS?
Adguard DNS is a reliable way to block internet ads without installing extra apps. The best part? It’s free and works on almost any device. It provides a hassle-free ad-blocking solution for Android, without the need for rooting or complex settings.
Steps to Block Ads on Android Using Private DNS:
Before you start, make sure your Android device is running Android 9 Pie or a newer version. Follow these steps if you’re on Android Pie:
- Open “Settings” in your app drawer.
- Under “Settings,” select “Connections” or “Network & Internet.”
- Click on “More connection settings.”
- Look for and click on “Private DNS.”
- Tap “Private DNS provider hostname” and enter “dns.adguard.com.” Then, click “Save.”
- Open Google Chrome and enter “chrome://flags” in the URL bar.
- Search for ‘DNS’ and disable the ‘Alpn DNS’ option.
- Next, enter “chrome://net-internals” in the URL bar and hit enter.
- Select the DNS tab and tap on the ‘Clear Cache’ option.
- Restart your Chrome browser to apply the changes.
Choosing the Best DNS for Ad Blocking on Android:
Adguard DNS is excellent for ad blocking, but there are other options for enhanced privacy and security:
- LibreDNS: Offers ad blocking along with enhanced security. Use ‘noads.libredns.gr’ in the “Configure Private DNS” field.
- Control D: Stops ads, malware, and trackers. Use ‘p2.freedns.controld.com’ in Private DNS configuration for ad blocking.
- NextDNS: A comprehensive security-focused DNS provider. Create an account, configure settings, and use the NextDNS app for ad blocking.
While Adguard DNS won’t remove every ad, it effectively handles the most annoying ones. This method provides a valuable tool to improve your online experience and reduce disruptions.